Served in 1950
The December 15, 1950 edition of the Issaquah Press reports that Earl Henry was Marshal.
Served in 1950
The December 15, 1950 edition of the Issaquah Press reports that Earl Henry was Marshal.
Served in 1949
Ray took over as Marshal in 1949. Jack Allen and Tom Crossley were his Deputies at some point.
While Ray was in office, the Town Council contracted with Stonebridge Chevrolet to acquire the town’s first police car. Over $1,000 was allocated for the vehicle, but after five months the contract was voided for non-delivery, and a second hand panel truck was bought from the State Patrol for $600.00. It seems strange today that a panel truck would serve as a police vehicle, but in those days it was not so unusual.
Law enforcement officers were usually the first on the scene of accidents and fires, so they often equipped their rigs with first aid supplies, auto repair equipment and odds and ends. This particular vehicle was well suited for it’s role “Out East”.
Burglaries and acts of malicious mischief plagued the Issaquah area in those days. On March 11, 1949, burglars hit the Issaquah Feed Store, Stonebridge Chevrolet, Shaver’s XXX Barrel, and the Western Auto Store. Money, and merchandise was taken and in February 1950 Marshal Robertson cracked the case after arresting a fourteen-year-old boy.
On August 5, 1950 Wold and Lewis Hardware Stores were struck. A thirteen and fourteen year old boy were arrested after taking merchandise from both places. Interestingly enough, Ray had been patrolling the area in the early hours of that morning and was checking Wold’s Hardware when someone struck him from behind, knocking him unconscious. Whether it was one of the boys who assaulted Ray is not clear.
The Town Council enacted Ordinance No. 65 to combat the problem. It required all persons under the age of 16 to be off of the street by 9 P.M! The council also approved an annual “police” budget of $4,760. It is around this time that the name “Police” seems to have been noted in council and newspaper accounts of the Marshal’s office.
Ray was a kind soul and an example was his act of kindness on November 8, 1949. A young ex-GI was seen hitch-hiking through town that night, with a small baby bundled up in his arms. Ray stopped to investigate, and the young man asked to be housed in the town jail over night. Ray obliged and made sure that a good fire was going in the jail stove to keep the pair comfortable. In the morning took them home for breakfast and learned they were headed for Reardon near Spokane. The young man’s wife had abandoned them on the way from Los Angeles and was no where to be found.
Served in 1947
Ira E. Delamarter was born on August 3, 1925 to Guy and Irene Delamarter. We are not certain of his birth place, but he spent his early life in Oregon. Ira served during World War II as a pharmacist’s mate. Sometime between his return from service and 1947, Ira made his way to Issaquah, where he succeeded Rex Seil as town marshal.
The Issaquah Press edition of August 4, 1949 reports that Ira Delamarter resigned as Marshal and Ray Robertson assumed those duties. Delamarter apparently returned to Oregon; when he married Betty A. David in 1951, his usual place of residence of Portland, OR.
He died in Redmond, Deschutes County, Oregon in 2002.
William Hartley was born November 3, 1908 in Carlisle, Kentucky to Willard and Dorothy Hartley. He was the oldest of nine children.
William spent a short time in the U.S. Navy and after being discharged he moved to Washington State where he met and married Dorothy Rogers in 1930.
Around 1942 they bought and ran the Victory Inn Cafe in Issaquah which they sold in 1945. It was during this period that William served as Town Marshal. He left the office of Marshal went on to run a taxi service in North Bend.
About 1949 he moved to Alaska and was a Ketchikan City Policeman until the early 1950’s. He then moved back to the “Lower 48” and went into the tavern business, among them being the tavern at the Eagles Lodge in Issaquah.
He retired in the 70’s and moved to Florida where he passed away in 1978 at the age of 70.
Served in 1937
Brent was born on March 26, 1906 in Lowery, Minnesota. His father was David William Hume and his mother was Anna Christopherson.
Around 1930 he married Elma Erickson who was born at High Point outside of Issaquah on November 15, 1911. Her father was Eric Erickson II and his mother was Hilda Victoria Johanson.
Brent and Elma lived in Kirkland from 1930 to 1937 where he operated a shoe repair business. He served as Town Marshal from 1937 to around 1939 when they moved to Minot, North Dakota. Brent worked as a brakeman and later as a conductor for the Burlington Northern Railway.
He died in Seattle on January 19, 1981 and his remains were cremated. His wife died on August 17, 1969.
This information kindly provided by Eric Erickson.
Jack Legg was born in North Lawrence, Ohio on November 4, 1876. His parents were Robert Legg, a coal miner, and his wife Jane Anderson Legg. Jack’s mother died when he was just 11 years old. At the age of 12, he was left to fend for himself when his father left Ohio for Gilman, Washington, accompanied by a new wife and child. Jack found work (and lodging) at the local coal mines in Ohio.
Served in 1933
Nearly a decade later, Jack would travel west to join his father in Gilman. Jack no doubt intended to work in the coal mines, but no sooner had he settled in the coal town than gold was discovered in Alaska. Jack and his father traveled to the Yukon to stake a claim, but found that all the productive areas had already been staked. After running a mule team for other “stampeders,” the Leggs returned home to Gilman.
Jack Legg worked in the coal mines, and for the local railroad. He married Sophie Chriest on October 3, 1899. The couple raised a family of four sons and one daughter in their house on the corner of Alder and Second Avenue.
Jack Legg was appointed as Town Marshal during the turbulent term of Stella May Alexander. Stella Alexander was no shrinking violet, didn’t see the need to tip-toe around Issaquah’s government. At a particularly controversial Town Countil meeting on July 3, 1933, Paul J. Henry refused to arrest several councilmen who Alexander determined were out of order. In response, Mayor Alexander fired Henry and swore Jack Legg in as Town Marshal.
During P. J. Henry’s tenure, the Town Marshal’s salary had been $90 to $100 per month. After Legg was appointed, the Council refused to approve Legg’s pay at the old rate, authorizing a reduction of the salary to $30 a month. In addition to crime, Legg spent a portion of his term fighting in court for the pay that was due to him.
Served in 1931-1933
Paul Henry assumed the office of Marshal on Dec 31, 1930 upon the sudden resignation of J.M. Stakebake. Paul’s brother, Earl Henry, was an officer with the State Highway Patrol. Paul had considerable experience as a Deputy Sheriff.
Henry resided at the Krall residence on Hill Street according to a news story of the period.
On Aug 11, 1931 he caught a youth breaking into an automatic weight machines located in front of Brendel Drug Store. The youth took off and ran east on Cooper Avenue. Henry called for the youth to stop but the young man ran even faster. Paul drew his revolver and fired four times, but the fellow got away after ducking under a fence near the playfield.
The Issaquah Press records his salary as $100.00 per month in its June 11, 1932 edition.
Served in 1931
Henry was born was born on October 16, 1899 at the family home on Front Street where the Schomber-Lewis building now stands. His parents, Henry and Anna, were of German descent. They arrived in Issaquah in 1891 and set up the Schomber Bakery where the H & H Tavern and Lewis Hardware stores are now located.
Henry attended Issaquah High School and by all accounts excelled in sports. He married Eloise, on October 20, 1946, and they had two sons; Wayne and John.
Henry took over the Marshal’s Office in 1931 after the resignation of J. M. Stakebake. He inherited a town still troubled by burglars. On the night of January 26, 1931, Henry responded to Goode’s Corner Grocery, (State Route 900 and Newport Way). Pete Walmaki who worked at the store, was sleeping inside when he heard the sound of glass breaking.
Pete got a gun from inside the store and surprised two men that had entered via the broken front door. Holding them at gunpoint, Pete yelled for help as the Goode family home was next to the store. Mr. Goode and his son came to assist and the three of them held the burglars until the law arrived. The pair were involved in an earlier break-in of some gasoline pumps according to Sheriff’s Deputies.
On April 2, 1931, the Jacobson Bakery and Lewis Hardware stores were burglarized. Cash and $100.00 in fishing tackle, tobacco, knives and a revolver were taken from the hardware store. About $15.00 cash was taken from the bakery.
Henry passed away on May 16, 1965 after three months illness. Eloise, who was born in 1913, died in 1992. Both Henry and Eloise are buried at Hillside Cemetery.
Evan David Watkins was born to David and Lizzie Watkins in Black Diamond, WA. Watkins went by the nickname Eve (pronounced “Evie”) for most of his life.
During Watkins’ tenure, burglaries continued to plague Issaquah, and on December 16, 1927, the culprits hit the Olympic Pool Hall and Brendel Drug Store. Some money was taken from the drug store along with some merchandise. The newspaper announced that “No clew has been discovered.”
The search continues for more information on E.V.
Served in 1924
James Edward Roberts was born on December 17, 1880 in Schuyler County, Missouri. He married married Melissa (Lissa) Whitall on August 16, 1902. The couple had one daughter, Lucy Elzara, who was born in Missouri in 1903. Sometime between 1903 and 1910, the family relocated to Washington State. In 1910, they were living in Snoqualmie, where Ed was working as a gold miner. By 1920, they had moved to Issaquah, where Ed was working as a lumber worker.
Roberts appears to have been appointed Town Marshal in 1924. The election that year saw V.M. McKibben elected with 116 votes to P. J. Smith who gathered 115 votes.
John Fisher was elected to the Town Council and former Marshal Burnett Mullarky was appointed to the Parks Commission. Unlike today, there wasn’t much in the way of diversion and recreation nearby, so the town parks played an important role in everyone’s life. Bands, plays, traveling talent shows, as well as traditional picnics were held there.
On June 5, 1924, the park also served as a bivouac site for the 4th Infantry Regiment that was moving from Fort George Worth to Camp Lewis in Pierce County. The force consisted of 15 Officers, 250 Soldiers and 30 trucks. It caused quite a stir in the otherwise sleepy town.
A noteworthy event that occurred during Ed’s tenure as Marshal was the Klu Klux Klan rally held in Issaquah on July 26, 1924. The rally, dubbed as a “Konklovation”, was held one mile west of town near the present day Park and Ride Lot on 17th Avenue Northwest. During the ceremony, which was illuminated by a “fiery” electric cross measuring 40 feet high and 37 feet wide, 250 Klansmen were initiated into organization.
It was reported that a crowd in excess of 13,000 persons attended the rally and were “entertained” by a thirty-two-piece band, a play by school children and speeches on “Americanism”. Deputy Sheriffs kept order and hooded Klansmen directed traffic, which clogged roadways for two hours following the rally.
The event was announced ahead of time in the Issaquah Press and the Seattle Star newspapers, which probably accounted for the large number of people in attendance. A similar rally was held in Chehalis the following night.
An incident of a more violent nature occurred on June 5, 1924. At around 2:15 a.m. a speeding car raced through town, and the occupants fired 12 shots as they drove past several businesses. Several bullets hit the Fisher Undertaking Parlor, City Hall, the town Bank and Grange buildings. The person(s) responsible were never located.
Ed more than likely used his own automobile to investigate these cases, as the town didn’t buy a patrol car until 1949. In all probability it was a Model “T” Ford, which cost $295.00 according to a newspaper ad from July 1924.
Ed left the Marshal’s office in 1925, replaced by Eve Watkins. In 1930, he was living in Aberdeen, Washington, with his wife, daughter, and granddaughter. At that time he was working as a stevedore with the longshoreman. Ed died in Olympia, Washington in 1955.
Gilman Town Hall
165 SE Andrews Street
Open Thurs-Fr-Sat, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Depot Museum
78 First Avenue NE
Open Fri-Sat-Sun, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Valley Trolley
78 First Avenue NE
Open May 9, 2015