In 1973, under the direction of Chief Ron Procise, the Issaquah Police Department purchases a white Dodge patrol car. It was just one of a few changes that Procise made as Police Chief in the early 1970s.


In 1972, Betty Konarski, owner of the Country Mouse consignment store, convinces Marvin and Ruth Mohl to scrap their plans to create another strip mall, and to create what would be Gilman Village instead. #Issaquah125


In 1972, the Issaquah Historical Society (today’s Issaquah History Museums) was founded by a group of long-time residents. Their mission included the phrase “to preserve what is left of our town and our way of life.” Harriet Fish, who was known for her essays on Issaquah’s past, had already begun building a collection of items that would become a part of the fledgling organization’s collection.


In 1971, D.B. Cooper hijacked a plane from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA.

Salmon in Issaquah Creek


In 1970, the first Salmon Days celebration is held and roughly 2,500 people attend. Salmon Days has continued to grow and change over the years. #Issaquah125

Gibson House


In 1970, Dr. W.E. Gibson’s home, built circa 1900, is razed. The rare gingko tree, planted by Gibson circa 1910, is spared thanks to petitioners. Issaquah’s gingko is considered one of Issaquah’s Treasures. #Issaquah125


In 1969, the last Labor Day celebration takes place in Issaquah. The following year would mark the beginning of Issaquah’s Salmon Days tradition.


In 1968, the new sewer treatment plant pump station opened. The event was presided over by Miss Issaquah Colleen Dixon and Mayor Bill Flintoft.


In 1967, Earnest S. Jones spent some time at home on furlough.

“PVT. ERNEST S. JONES, son of Mr. and Mrs. Tony Rich,was home on furlough prior to leaving for Vietnam last Monday. A member of the 101st Airborne Division, Jones enlisted in the Army last July 20 following his graduation from Issaquah Senior High School. He received his basic training at Fort/Lewis and followed this with medical training at Fort Sam, Houston. Graduating from schooling there on Sept. 9, 1966, he was sent to Fort Benning for Airborne training. His five jumps completed, he won his wings on Jan. 19. He has/been on furlough since that time.”


In 1966, a new youth camping area was dedicated in Lake Sammamish State Park. Hans Jensen was a familiar figure in Issaquah, and remembered as a compassionate man with a soft spot for the town’s youth. He left his land to Issaquah’s youngsters in his will. Accordingly, after Jensen’s  death in 1957, sixty-five acres were added to Lake Sammamish State Park to form the youth camping area.

Han Jensen (1888-1957) left his property to the State of Washington. Today it is part of the Lake Sammamish Park in Issaquah.