In this circa 1911 photo of the Pickering farm silos, the salesman shown in last week’s photo is standing at left. Meanwhile, two children are at the base of the silo holding corn stocks which appear to be 12- to – 13 feet tall. What is believed to be two members of the Pickering family are on the wagon at the right.
Published in the Issaquah Press on October 4, 2000
It’s storage time at the Pickering Farm in this circa 1911 photo. A. salesman on the right watches as corn stock silage is blown into the silo on the left. The silo is about half full. as the lower windows are boarded up and a man sits in the third window above the tractor. Roy Pickering is in the middle of the photo, standing between the two silos. The tractor is a Holt caterpillar with a 4-cylinder engine and a single front wheel for steering. The current Caterpillar Tractor Co. was formed in 1925 when it bought out the Holt and Best tractor companies.
Published in the Issaquah Press on October 11, 2000
Part of the Pickering Farm herd of approximately 100 milk cows are eating hay in the milk barn portion of the barn. The milking herd consisted of Holstein and Gurnsey breeds of cattle. The stantions which hold the cows heads were set up so that pulling a single lever would open all the stantions on one side at a time.
Published in the Issaquah Press on October 18, 2000
[The text, which discussed a 1911 images of cows in pens outside the Pickering Barn, has gone astray.]
Published in the Issaquah Press on October 25, 2000
Published in the Issaquah Press on November 1, 2000
[The image and text, which related to a view of Pickering Farm and all the old buildings, have gone astray.]
Published in the Issaquah Press on November 8, 2000
In this circa 1980 photo the view is southeast from what is now 10th Avenue Northwest. The silos previously located west of the barn are long-gone by this time. A house trailer is parked at the left front of the barn. In the foreground is the horse race track used for horse training.
‘Looking Back; concludes its reflections of the Pickering Farm with a couple of more modern looks at the historic barn. Above in a circa 1980 photo, the grain silos have been removed and the farm is operating as a horse stable. The garage building on the left and the hay and dairy barns remain. A 1955 International truck is shown at the right. A light dusting of snow confirms this is a winter picture.
Published in the Issaquah Press on November 22, 2000
A more recent shot of the barn, taken in February 1999 is at the left [not shown on web site version]. Many aspects of the dairy barn have been restored, and the surrounding land awaits future development. Costco Wholesale, one of the primary tenants of the Pickering Place retail center is visible in the background at right.
Published in the Issaquah Press on November 29, 2000
As we start the next series, we will look at the only remaining hotel building of the many that were built in Issaquah near the turn of the last century.
The Grand Central Hotel was built in 1903 by James Croston Sr., on land purchased from Isaac and Mary Cooper on May 29, 1902. In this circa 1903 winter photograph, believed to be the earliest showing the hotel at the left of the Snoqualmie Falls Power Company’s Gilman substation, we see the elevated board sidewalk, square porch posts, the hotel sign on the railing above the porch and the small tree with no leaves located behind the picket fence between the buildings.
n this 1910 photo, a number of improvements have been made to the Grand Central Hotel. The original square porch, marquee posts and rails have been replaced with fancy turned posts and rails. The Hotel sign has been relocated from the marquee rail to above the entrance door in the center of the building. The small tree from the Nov. 29 looking back photo is now almost as tall as the building.
Published in the Issaquah Press on December 20, 2000
The dog and man at the left are unidentified. Next from the left are James Croston Sr., Joseph Croston and James’ wife Anna Croston. A small telephone cross arm with four insulators is now located below the power line cross arm on the power pole.
Published in the Issaquah Press on January 10, 2001
In this early 1924 photo, more changes have been made to the front of the Grand Central Hotel. New wider windows were installed, the entrance door has been moved to the left side, and the hotel sign has been moved back to the marquee rail. A cafe addition has been added to the left side of the hotel by Joseph Alfred Marion, who purchased the hotel from the Crostons on Oct. 26, 1920. Mill street in front of the hotel, now East Sunset Way, has been paved with concrete. The wooden side walk is in the process of being replaced with concrete. It was completed prior to Labor Day 1924.
CONNECT WITH US
Follow us on Facebook
MUSEUM HOURS & LOCATION
Gilman Town Hall
165 SE Andrews Street
Open Thurs-Fr-Sat, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Depot Museum
78 First Avenue NE
Open Fri-Sat-Sun, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Valley Trolley
78 First Avenue NE
Open May 9, 2015