Representatives of the Preston Mill Co. pose with their Climax locomotive, which was purchased from the Doty Lumber and Shingle Co. in Doty, Wash. Elof Edwins, part owner of the Preston Mill Co., is shown standing closest to the No. 1 on the newly repainted locomotive in this 1921 photo. The mill’s railroad will be extended several miles up the Raging River valley until it shuts down in 1930.
Published in the Issaquah Press on June 28, 2000
Published in the Issaquah Press on July 5, 2000
The Press continues its series of locomotives from the past in this photograph from the 1920’s. Shown is the Preston Mill Co.’s fourth locomotive, a used Lima Shay here at Upper Preston. It is the second engine with the number 1 on the cab belonging to Preston Mill Co.
In a glimpse from a scene in the 1920’s, the Preston Mill Company’s Upper Preston Sawmill is at the center of the photograph. To the right, at the top of the hill is the cookhouse. Climax Locomotive # 2 is shown at left in the rear. The mill pond in the foreground is full of logs.
Published in the Issaquah Press on July 19, 2000
The Press continues its look back at Issaquah’s logging-days roots. In this photograph dated from 1916-1917, Peter Erickson can be seen on the left standing next to the Preston Mill Co’s logging boss James Matson. Both men are part of the crew logging along Raging River above Upper Preston. The steam donkey is from the Road Engine family used to pull logs long distances.
Published in the Issaquah Press on July 26, 2000
The Wood & Iverson Co.’s Climax locomotive is switching a load of log cars near the Caroline Mine on Tiger Mountain. That mine also was known as the Tiger Mountain Coal Mine. The tracks in the lower right corner of the photograph lead to the mill at Hobart.
Published in the Issaquah Press on August 2, 2000
Several logs are loaded on one of the High Point Mill Co.’s Wooden Pacific cars at one of the two loading landings on Tiger Mountain. In this circa 1918 photo, the car appears to be at the first landing, which was about halfway up Tiger Mountain on the 9,600 foot Wooden Pacific incline pole road.
Published in the Issaquah Press on August 16, 2000
On the hill above what was formerly Alexander’s Beach on Lake Sammamish, a five-man crew poses in front of the Bratnober Co.’s Washington Iron Works Donkey. The company was constructing the road bed for the logging railroad leading from the Allen & Nelson Sawmill at Monohon up onto the Pine Lake Plateau.
Published in the Issaquah Press on August 30, 2000
This 1909 photograph shows the Allen & Nelson Mill Co.’s office at Monohon. The Monohon Post Office also is located in the building. On the tracks at the right is an Illinois Central Railroad refrigerator car. This car makes for an interesting topic of discussion, as one might wonder what was delivered to Monohon that required the constant cooling from large blocks of ice.
Published in the Issaquah Press on September 6, 2000
While a group of citizens await their train at the Northern Pacific Depot at Monohon, the railroad crew poses on its hand car. This photo presents a couple of interesting points to ponder. For one, the rail crew obviously was integrated to some degree, with an American Indian joining them (second from the left). Secondly the man standing on the right appears to be dressed in a style typical of a locomotive engineer at the time. However there’s no train in the picture and the fact that people are waiting seems to indicate that the train has yet to arrive. Was this the crew that was scheduled to take over for the one that’s bringing the train to Monohon?
Published in the Issaquah Press on September 13, 2000
The press is beginning a new Looking Back series featuring photographs of the Pickering Farm. The farm was acquired in 1867 by William Pickering, Sr. , the territorial governor of Washington Territory. The farm was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The nine remaining acres of the farm and buildings are owned by the City of Issaquah and are designated one of Issaquah’s 35 city treasures.
Published in the Issaquah Press on September 27, 2000
In this 1911 photo, Charlie Baxter is driving the three-horse team corn harvester, harvesting corn which appears to be about 10-feet-tall. The man at the right is believed to be a salesman holding up a bundle of harvested corn.
CONNECT WITH US
Follow us on Facebook
MUSEUM HOURS & LOCATION
Gilman Town Hall
165 SE Andrews Street
Open Thurs-Fr-Sat, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Depot Museum
78 First Avenue NE
Open Fri-Sat-Sun, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Valley Trolley
78 First Avenue NE
Open May 9, 2015