This photograph offers a look into Issaquah’s past as home to several mills. Part of the Issaquah Lumber Co. crew is shown in the planer shed at its Monohon Mill in this circa 1943 photo. The local faces include Floyd Erickson (third from left), who is standing next to his father, Eric Erickson (fourth from left). Members of the Rudstrom family also are in the picture, which illustrates how women stepped into such jobs during World War II (sixth and eighth from left). The Monohon Mill no longer exists, and the Issaquah Lumber Co. is now the Issaquah Cedar & Lumber Co. located on East Lake Sammamish Parkway.
Published in the Issaquah Press on March 8, 2000
Published in the Issaquah Press on March 22, 2000
One of the Issaquah School District’s earliest buses is pictured in this advertisement in the 1935 yearbook. Heiser added the body to a frame and chassis likely made by the Kenworth Co. you might note that the school district was No. 212 at the time. It was changed to 227 in 1937, and became today’s No. 411 in 1944. Nearly all of the students in the 1930s either rode the bus to school or walked. That’s a stark contrast to today, when student parking lots are consistently overflowing.
During the next few weeks, we’ll look back at some of the community’s better known railroad bridges. In 1910, this bridge was built across the Issaquah Creek near the present-day hatchery. The tracks went from the main line at the depot to the mines on Mine Hill, then looped around to rejoin the main line just behind the existing apartment building at 850 Front St. S. What appears to be a hand car is on the bridge, above the second pillar from the left. In 1923, the rails were removed and the ‘Issaquah loop’ was no longer used. The bridges remained for many years, however.
Published in the Issaquah Press on April 5, 2000
Continuing our look back at area bridges, this week we show (at left) a “new” one from 1910 that provided access to coal company homes on what is now the 300 block of Mine Hill Road Southwest. The bridge was built across Issaquah Creek near where the new foot bridge crosses the creek at the fish hatchery. The bridge was destroyed by a flood in February 1932. In 1921, the Town of Issaquah acquired the property on both sides of the creek adjoining the bridge and named it City Park. It is now the fish hatchery and Gibson Hall properties.
Published in the Issaquah Press on April 12, 2000
In this photograph from 1910, the Issaquah High Trestle is shown at the end of what is now Sunset Way as it enters the on-ramp to Interstate 90. The home on the left has been remodeled and expanded, but is still standing at 760 E Sunset Way. As construction begins on the new Sunset Interchange, the house will be removed. The trestle, built in 1888, was torn down in 1975 to make way for I-90.
Published in the Issaquah Press on April 19, 2000
Moving stacks of long, heavy logs was no easy feat in the early logging days. In the next several installments of Looking Back, we’ll take a look at some of the locomotives and techniques used to move the area’s prime resource. In this Kinsey photo, taken in the mid 1920’s, the High Point Mill Co.’s Climax locomotive cruises around the north face of Tiger Mountain. The engine is pulling two of the four skeleton log cars built in Renton by the Pacific Car & Foundry Co.
Published in the Issaquah Press on May 17, 2000
Published in the Issaquah Press on May 24, 2000
This Kinsey photo of the High Point Mill Co. logging crew on the north face of Tiger Mountain shows several interesting features. On the left is a donkey with a boomerang spark arrestor (the curved pipe extending from the top of the smoke stack to the ground). Also, the locomotive in the middle of the photograph has not been identified as belonging to High Point. Records showed they only owned the Climax shown in last week’s “Looking Back.” Perhaps the High Point company borrowed this one from the Preston Mill Co. about 1924, when Preston’s inventory of engines showed two instead of the three that it owned.
Published in the Issaquah Press on May 31, 2000
This week we continue our reflection on the old locomotives that powered the area’s early logging industry. In this shot, the High Point Mill Co.’s Climax locomotive approaches the photographer on the north face of Tiger Mountain. On the left next to the spar tree is a steam loading donkey engine. To the right of the locomotive is a steam yarding donkey engine.
In this Clark Kinsey photo from the mid 1920’s. the High Point Mill Co.’s logging crew is shown taking a break while posing with their Climax Locomotive. This photo is among those featured in the Mill Street logging scene mural on East Sunset Way at First Avenue Southeast in downtown Issaquah.
Published in the Issaquah Press on June 7, 2000
Representatives of the Preston Mill Co. pose with their Climax locomotive, which was purchased from the Doty Lumber and Shingle Co. in Doty, Wash. Elof Edwins, part owner of the Preston Mill Co., is shown standing closest to the No. 1 on the newly repainted locomotive in this 1921 photo. The mill’s railroad will be extended several miles up the Raging River valley until it shuts down in 1930.
Published in the Issaquah Press on June 28, 2000
CONNECT WITH US
MUSEUM HOURS & LOCATION
Gilman Town Hall
165 SE Andrews Street
Open Thurs-Fr-Sat, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Depot Museum
78 First Avenue NE
Open Fri-Sat-Sun, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Valley Trolley
78 First Avenue NE
Open May 9, 2015