Posts

Looking back: Pickering Farm

Published in the Issaquah Press on November 1, 2000

[The image and text, which  related to a view of Pickering Farm and all the old buildings, have gone astray.]

Looking back: Pickering Farm – 1980

Published in the Issaquah Press on November 8, 2000

In this circa 1980 photo the view is southeast from what is now 10th Avenue Northwest. The silos previously located west of the barn are long-gone by this time. A house trailer is parked at the left front of the barn. In the foreground is the horse race track used for horse training.

 

 

Pickering Farm in 1980

Looking back: Pickering Farm – 1980

Published in the Issaquah Press on November 22, 2000

Pickering Farm in 1980

1980 view of Pickering Barn with horse race track. [IHM photo 91.7.97]

‘Looking Back; concludes its reflections of the Pickering Farm with a couple of more modern looks at the historic barn. Above in a circa 1980 photo, the grain silos have been removed and the farm is operating as a horse stable. The garage building on the left and the hay and dairy barns remain. A 1955 International truck is shown at the right. A light dusting of snow confirms this is a winter picture.

A more recent shot of the barn, taken in February 1999 is at the left [not shown on web site version].  Many aspects of the dairy barn have been restored, and the surrounding land awaits future development. Costco Wholesale, one of the primary tenants of the Pickering Place retail center is visible in the background at right.

.

 

 

.

 

 

Grand Central

Looking back: Grand Central Hotel – 1903

Published in the Issaquah Press on November 29, 2000

Grand Central

This 1903 photo shows the hotel soon after it was constructed west of the Snoqualmie Falls Power Company’s Gilman Substation. The substation was constructed in 1899, and stood until 1967. (Photo courtesy of Denny Croston)

As we start the next series, we will look at the only remaining hotel building of the many that were built in Issaquah near the turn of the last century.

The Grand Central Hotel was built in 1903 by James Croston Sr., on land purchased from Isaac and Mary Cooper on May 29, 1902. In this circa 1903 winter photograph, believed to be the earliest showing the hotel at the left of the Snoqualmie Falls Power Company’s Gilman substation, we see the elevated board sidewalk, square porch posts, the hotel sign on the railing above the porch and the small tree with no leaves located behind the picket fence between the buildings.

 

.

 

 

Grand Central

Looking back: Grand Central Hotel – Circa 1910

Published in the Issaquah Press on December 20, 2000

Grand Central

In this photo, taken in 1910, members of the Croston family posed on the porch. [IHM photo 72-21-14-226,courtesy of Denny Croston]

n this 1910 photo, a number of improvements have been made to the Grand Central Hotel. The original square porch, marquee posts and rails have been replaced with fancy turned posts and rails. The Hotel sign has been relocated from the marquee rail to above the entrance door in the center of the building. The small tree from the Nov. 29 looking back photo is now almost as tall as the building.

The dog and man at the left are unidentified. Next from the left are James Croston Sr., Joseph Croston and James’ wife Anna Croston. A small telephone cross arm with four insulators is now located below the power line cross arm on the power pole.

.

 

.

 

 

Grand Central

Looking back: Grand Central Hotel – Circa 1924

Published in the Issaquah Press on January 10, 2001

Grand Central

This photo, taken in the late 1920s, shows the addition of the “Grand Central Cafe” on the west (left) side of the building. (IHM photo 95.23.1)

In this early 1924 photo, more changes have been made to the front of the Grand Central Hotel. New wider windows were installed, the entrance door has been moved to the left side, and the hotel sign has been moved back to the marquee rail. A cafe addition has been added to the left side of the hotel by Joseph Alfred Marion, who purchased the hotel from the Crostons on Oct. 26, 1920. Mill street in front of the hotel, now East Sunset Way, has been paved with concrete. The wooden side walk is in the process of being replaced with concrete. It was completed prior to Labor Day 1924.

.

 

.

 

 

Grand Central Hotel and Stage

Looking back: Grand Central Hotel – Circa 1930

Published in the Issaquah Press on January 17, 2001

Grand Central Hotel and Stage

Stage in Front of Grand Central Hotel – Circa 1930 [IHM photo]

One of the forerunners to a Metro Bus is parked in front of the Grand Central Hotel in this circa 1930 photo. The stage, as it was called then, appears to hold about 14 or 15 passengers and, at the time of this photo, is awaiting passengers. The Issaquah Press advertises on September 16, 1931, that hotel rooms are 75 cents and up, with weekly rates ranging from $ 2 to $ 3. Mrs. M. Z. Marion is proprietress of the hotel, and Ratchford & Kennedy are proprietors of the cafe, which advertises a dinner at 40 cents.

.

 

.

 

 

Grand Central

Looking back: Grand Central Hotel – Circa 1940

Published in the Issaquah Press on January 24, 2001

Grand Central

This 1940 photo shows that the cafe had become the “Issaquah 10¢ Store.” At this time, the facade of the current “Rolling Log” tavern had been constructed to the west (left) of the hotel, but the tavern had not yet been expanded to take over part of the hotel building. (Photo courtesy of Denny Croston – Originally from Tax Records)

As part of a King County Assessor’s Office program, all buildings in the county were photographed in the late 1930’s and early 1940’s. In this photograph, taken Feb. 19, 1940, more changes to the hotel have occurred. An additional door has been added next to the right side windows, the porch posts have been removed and replaced with rods anchoring the marquee to the top of the buildings, the cafe is now Issaquah 10 cent Store and the log tavern has been built along side of the dime store. A new sign also advertises the hotel. The hotel building now contains 25 rooms, three sinks, three bath tubs on legs and six toilets.

.

 

.

 

 

Grand Central Hotel circa 1970s

Looking back: Grand Central Hotel – circa 1970

Published in the Issaquah Press on January 31, 2001

Grand Central Hotel circa 1970s

Grand Central Hotel circa 1970s [IHM photo #72.21.14.190]

By the 1970’s. major changes have altered the once proud Grand Central Hotel building into a shadow of its past. The marquee has been removed and the wood siding has been covered with imitation brick. Art Burt’s Real Estate office occupies the lower right corner of the building of the building and the Log Tavern (now the Rolling Log Tavern) has been expanded into the former 10-cent store and part of the hotel building. A smaller hotel sign has been installed. now identifying the building as The Hotel–Grand Central.

.

 

.

 

 

1930s Mill Street Looking East

Looking back: Looking East from Mill and Front – circa 1930

Published in the Issaquah Press on February 14, 2001

1930s Mill Street Looking East

Looking East from Mill and Front during a winter in the 1930s [IHM photo #72.22.14.128]

As we leave the last series about the Grand Central Hotel we will take one last look at the north side of Mill Street, now the 040 block of East Sunset Way.

In this late 1930’s winter scene, ice and snow as well as sacked and boxed goods are stacked on the sidewalk in front of the Money Saver’s Grocery Store (now Mandarin Garden Restaurant). Continuing to the right in the photo are the Log Tavern, Grand Central Hotel & Cafe, Puget Sound Power & Light substation.

Centered behind the double set of power poles is the New Issaquah Town Hall, completed in 1930 and demolished in 1996 to make way for the new Police Building.

 

.