In 1898, the town of Gilman purchases the Gilman Town Hall building from Ingebright Wold for use as the town’s seat of government.
Built in 1886, the structure was intended to serve as a public hall. According to local lore, it began to serve its purpose before the roof was finished, when it hosted a wedding celebration. On April 4, 1898 the town of Gilman bought it for $225 and began to use the main front room as council chambers. The local firemen used part of the building starting in 1911. In 1918, the library moved out of Enos Guss’s barber shop into the town hall, remaining there until mid-1950s. Today, the structure serves as the Gilman Town Hall Museum.