1892

In 1892, the residents of the rapidly-growing Squak Valley settlement vote to incorporate their settlement as the town of Gilman, named after railroad founder Daniel Hunt Gilman.

Gilman's Depot, circa 1892

In 1887 the Seattle Lake Shore and Eastern Railroad (SLS&E) reached Squak Valley, and in 1889 the depot was completed. The railroad transformed the sleepy farming valley into a center of commerce, and inspired townspeople to name their home after Daniel Hunt Gilman, one of the SLS&E’s owners. Thomas S. Crossley took this photograph on August 14, 1892, after the town’s incorporation as Gilman. [Image 86.087.018; Issaquah History Museums]