Looking back: Grand Central Hotel – 1903

Published in the Issaquah Press on November 29, 2000

Grand Central

This 1903 photo shows the hotel soon after it was constructed west of the Snoqualmie Falls Power Company’s Gilman Substation. The substation was constructed in 1899, and stood until 1967. (Photo courtesy of Denny Croston)

As we start the next series, we will look at the only remaining hotel building of the many that were built in Issaquah near the turn of the last century.

The Grand Central Hotel was built in 1903 by James Croston Sr., on land purchased from Isaac and Mary Cooper on May 29, 1902. In this circa 1903 winter photograph, believed to be the earliest showing the hotel at the left of the Snoqualmie Falls Power Company’s Gilman substation, we see the elevated board sidewalk, square porch posts, the hotel sign on the railing above the porch and the small tree with no leaves located behind the picket fence between the buildings.

 

.