Competencies: Social Studies, Social Studies Skills
Social Studies Skills 5.4: Creates a product that uses social studies content to support a thesis and presents the product in an appropriate manner to a meaningful audience.
Objective: Students draw or write what has changed and what has stayed the same over the past 100 years.
Materials: paper, pencil, crayon or pens
- As a culminating activity, discuss how life was different in Issaquah 100 years ago compared to today, and how life is the same.
- Students either draw pictures to illustrate similarities and differences or write a short paragraph to explain.
- Students share their final products with the class.
- Pose the question, “Which time period would you prefer to live in and why?”
- Display the final products in the hall, office, school library or local library.
- Share the final products with another class, preferably one that is also studying local history.
- This activity could be done as a hypothetical letter to a pen pal.