Representing a type of architecture known as a “miner’s house,” this modest cottage is believed to have been built around 1910 by a Finnish carpenter. The house was first moved during a road revision and land exchange, ending up at what is now Front Street and Gilman Blvd. Located next door was the Huovar Motel. The Huovar family (parents John and Helja Huovar, and children John, Anita, and Lyllevan) lived in the home and operated the nearby hotel. The property was then purchased by Bill Skorp, who gave the house to Gilman Village in 1984.