In 1927, this group of Issaquah High thespians posed for a picture. Stage make-up and costuming suggest that the play may have featured pirates or gypsies – or both.
The IHS Exhaust was a regular publication of Issaquah High School. This 1926 issue publicizes an upcoming concert, discusses school spirit, and reminds students of appropriate stairway safety, among other topics. #Issaquah125
By 1925, the Issaquah Depot was closed to passenger service, largely because automobiles were becoming more widespread. One stage, operated by Lorenzo Francis, had a regular stop in front of the Grand Central Hotel.
In 1924, Andy Wold opens his hardware store in the Wold Building. The Wold Building still exists today, on the northeastern corner of Front & Sunset. You can visit the location and learn more about it by taking our self-guided walking tour.
In 1923, Bill Evans is born in Issaquah, WA. Bill lived most of his life in Issaquah, and he participated in a 2006 oral history project shortly before his death. Bill’s easygoing nature, flair for telling stories, and affection for his hometown are all evident in the interiew. #Issaquah125
In 1922, Elsie Wendt, the wife of an Issaquah miner, makes the papers when she goes to the mines to learn her husband’s job. #Issaquah125
In the early 1920s, John Fischer opened his “John Fisher Cash Market.” This market was the precursor to Fischer’s Meats. You can visit the location and learn more about it by taking our self-guided walking tour.
In 1920, Ben Legg made a name for himself in the Seattle newspapers. Read about the real person behind “Bad Ben Legg.” #Issaquah125
In 1919 an ordinance was passed prohibiting cattle from running at large in the streets. Violators were subject to fines as high as $25.
Minnie Wilson and her sweetheart, Jake Schomber, wrote to each other during the time he was in the army. This dramatic scene from their love story took place in 1918. . #Issaquah125
CONNECT WITH US
MUSEUM HOURS & LOCATION
Gilman Town Hall
165 SE Andrews Street
Open Thurs-Fr-Sat, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Depot Museum
78 First Avenue NE
Open Fri-Sat-Sun, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Valley Trolley
78 First Avenue NE
Open May 9, 2015