Issaquah’s Labor Day Queen was chosen from among contestants sponsored by local organizations like the Issaquah Kiwanis Club, Issaquah Lions Club, Albert Lawson Post of the VFW, Hobart Saddle Club, Issaquah Valley grange, and Eagles Club. Contestants for 1956 included Lois Nissley, Jackie Deering, Myrna Treharne, Barbara Johnson, Patricia Yourglich, and Ronaele Hellum. Lois Nissley was chosen as Queen.
In 1955, Labor Day Queen Daisy Santa was crowned. In this photo she is surrounded by her court.
In 1954, Will and Anna Brooks were Grand Marshalls of the Labor Day Parade that ended on Memorial Field. The Brooks owned a dairy farm in the Issaquah Valley.
In 1953, this photo was taken of the the Washington State Bank. Formerly the Bank of Issaquah, the bank was remodeled in 1949. The unfinished north side of the building indicates a belief that an adjacent building would be constructed in that location. 50 years later, the side is still exposed and still unfinished.
In this 1952 Labor Day photograph, “criminals” (from left to right) Dorothy “Sunny” Hailstone, Candy Hailstone, Don Hooker Hailstone, and J. Hooker Hailstone, peer at us from behind bars. They were convicted of a crime common in the town during Labor Day festivities. Anyone caught without a beard was put in jail and was not released until bail, a hefty one-dollar fine, was paid.
In 1951, Bill Flintoft is appointed to Issaquah’s City Council. He goes on to serve as Issaquah’s Mayor, a position he holds longer than any other before him. #Issaquah125
In 1950, Malinda, the daughter of Issaquah High band director Bill Klein, wandered off and was lost for four hours, inspiring a number of townspeople to join the hunt.
In 1949, Raymond J. Robertson serves as Town Marshal. One of the changes he brings about is the purchase of Issaquah’s first squad car. #Issaquah125
In 1948, the Issaquah Kiwanis Club hosted the Kiwanis Follies, a variety show emceed by writer Richard Erickson, who published the Town Crier newspaper. Soda sales at intermission benefited the Issaquah High PTA.
In 1947, Hepler Auto Sales premiered the 1948 Ford models at this community celebration.
CONNECT WITH US
MUSEUM HOURS & LOCATION
Gilman Town Hall
165 SE Andrews Street
Open Thurs-Fr-Sat, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Depot Museum
78 First Avenue NE
Open Fri-Sat-Sun, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Valley Trolley
78 First Avenue NE
Open May 9, 2015