In 1907, Paul Koss is born to Austro-Hungarian immigrants. He lived in Issaquah for more than 99 years, and participated in a Memory Book project in 2000. #Issaquah125
In 1906, John Drylie serves as Town Marshal. Issaquah’s marshalls didn’t receive much in the way of formal training, and were responsible for things like herding cattle out of the street and replacing light bulbs in the street lights. #Issaquah125
In 1905, someone creates this wallet, which eventually finds its way into the collections of the Issaquah History Museums. Who was Ricardo? What do the B and C stand for? There are still many mysteries within our collections...
On this day in 1904, the wedding of Wilhilmena Stevens and John J. Eastlick is celebrated in Issaquah. Friends and relatives of the bride collaborate on this bridal quilt. #Issaquah125
In 1903, James Croston finishes construction of his new hotel, the Grand Central. The Grand Central is the only one of Issaquah’s many early 20th Century hotel buildings to survive into the 21st Century. #Issaquah125
In 1902, the Alexander House is constructed. The (relocated and expanded) building now serves as headquarters for the Chamber of Commerce. #Issaquah125
In 1901, Hiram R. Corson is sworn in as Mayor of Issaquah. Dr. Corson served as the official mine physician for many years. #Issaquah125
In 1900, The Issaquah Independent newspaper begins publication. The Issaquah Independent later became the Issaquah Press, which closed its doors in February of 2017.
For Issaquah Press articles on Issaquah’s history, see our compilation at https://www.issaquahhistory.org/dig-deep/issaquah-press/.
In 1899, the Snoqualmie Power Station is constructed on Mill Street to provide power to the town – which also changes its name from Gilman to Issaquah in this year. Later the Power Station has a minor appearance in the story of Bad Ben Legg.
In 1898, the town of Gilman purchases the Gilman Town Hall building from Ingebright Wold for use as the town’s seat of government.
Built in 1886, the structure was intended to serve as a public hall. According to local lore, it began to serve its purpose before the roof was finished, when it hosted a wedding celebration. On April 4, 1898 the town of Gilman bought it for $225 and began to use the main front room as council chambers. The local firemen used part of the building starting in 1911. In 1918, the library moved out of Enos Guss’s barber shop into the town hall, remaining there until mid-1950s. Today, the structure serves as the Gilman Town Hall Museum.
CONNECT WITH US
MUSEUM HOURS & LOCATION
Gilman Town Hall
165 SE Andrews Street
Open Thurs-Fr-Sat, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Depot Museum
78 First Avenue NE
Open Fri-Sat-Sun, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Valley Trolley
78 First Avenue NE
Open May 9, 2015