Paul Ayers was named Chief of Police in February of 2007. He replaced Dave Draveling.
For more information on Ayers’ hire, see this article from the Seattle Times.
Originally from Port Huron, Michigan, Dave’s father was a police officer in his home town for 33 years and very influential in his career choice. “My dad loved helping people and I wanted to continue the tradition.”
Dave completed his Law Enforcement Degree in Michigan and completed the Police Academy as a private citizen. “That was when they were laying officers off due to the recession.”
Dave’s son, also a police officer in the City of Snoqualmie, carries on that tradition as a third generation police officer.
Dave has had a very exciting and colorful career with Issaquah, where he started his Law Enforcement career 21 years ago as an undercover police officer. He completed three tours of undercover narcotics investigating in 1980, 82, & 84.
Dave worked four years as a patrol officer, six years as a sergeant, nine years as a captain, three years as Deputy Chief and between 2002 and 2007, he served as department’s Interim Chief of Police. He remembers when there were no traffic signals in Issaquah and there were only 10 officers including the chief. There were many night shifts worked alone and back up was sometimes 20 minutes away.
Duaine A. Garrison (“DAG”) was born in 1941 in Los Angeles, California. He attended school in Santa Clara and in 1958 he joined the US Marine Corps Reserve. He remained in the reserves until 1966. He and Beth were married in 1961 and they had four children: Eric, Elaine, Adrienne and Ellen.
In 1964 Dag joined the Seaside, California Police Department. He rose through the ranks and left that department in 1976 as a Lieutenant. He had accepted an offer to become the Chief of the Issaquah Police Department at the ripe old age of 35!
Some of Dag’s many achievements:
- American Legion “Officer of the Year – 1964” Seaside, CA
- Seaside PD Shooting Team
- Taught Law Enforcement classes at Gavilan College, CA
- President of the King Co. Chiefs Association
- Graduated from the FBI Academy and Command College
Dag saw the department grow to a combined staff of over 50 personnel. He helped lead the way for a new station from its inception to the grand opening in July, 2000.
Dag formally retired on March 1, 2002 and his Deputy Chief, Dave Draveling took over as Interim Chief. Dag and Beth are enjoying their retirement and have departed on an extended “Tour of America”.
Ron Prosise was born on June 11, 1935 in Nebraska and raised in Klamath Falls, Oregon. He attended school there and in 1954 he joined the Army.
Ron served with the 101st Airborne Division as a Communications Sergeant. After leaving the service he went on to attend Contra Costa Junior College in Concord, CA where he obtained an A. A. Degree in Criminal Justice in 1967.
Ron entered law enforcement in 1961 as a Police Officer with the Richmond (CA) Police Department, one year as an Identification Technician, and four years as a Patrol Officer.
Since he lived in Concord at the time, Ron decided to join that city’s police force in 1965. Concord PD had 150 sworn officers back then and it gave Ron the opportunity to work in several divisions including patrol, traffic, investigations and administration. In 1970 Ron was recruited to become the Police Chief of Yreka, CA where he was employed until 1971.
It was that year that Ron became the Police Chief of Issaquah. During Ron’s tenure, the Law Enforcement Assistance Administration was beginning to open doors for smaller departments with grants for equipment and training. Taking advantage of the opportunity, Ron acquired the department’s first computer, which was linked to the National Crime Information Center (NCIC).
Ron also equipped the force with radar and portable video equipment. Officer training became a priority and each officer was encouraged to attend college courses.
During this period, Ron complied the first formal set of Rules and Regulations and instituted a new records division. Prior to the acquisition of computers, records typed all reports on typewriter, which was a long and laborious process.
The department was housed in it’s own building behind City Hall. The station included a four-cell jail, which held prisoners from Snoqualmie, North Bend and the State Patrol.
To give an idea of how things were back then, Highway 10 (The Sunset Highway) was the main east/west route from eastern Washington to Seattle. (Interstate 90 was still under construction at that time). When a McDonald’s franchise opened in town, everyone said, “They must know something we don’t”, meaning that growth must be on the horizon.
Ron attended the University of Puget Sound from 1971 to 1973 during the evenings where he graduated with a B.A. in Public Administration.
In April 1976 Ron left the department to begin a new career as the owner of a residential construction company that served the Puget Sound and Wenatchee Valley areas. He and his wife, Ruth retired in 2000 and spends his winters in Palm Springs, CA and the summers in Wenatchee. They have four children.
Forrest was born April 23, 1920 in New Underwood, North Dakota. His father was from Canada and his grandparents were from France. He was raised and attended school on Lopez Island. He married Ona Jean Gallanger on June 6, 1942.
Served in 1959
Chief Goodrow started his career with the Issaquah Police Department in February 1959. It was a two-officer department in those days as the city had a population of around 1,500.
The department had one patrol car, a 1958 Chevrolet equipped with a radio that utilized the King County Sheriff’s frequency. When an officer was needed, the dispatchers would turn on a pole-mounted red light that was located in the ball field. If the officer didn’t see the light and didn’t respond to the call, the dispatcher would call the Sheriff’s Office and have them call the officer on the car radio. Eventually the IPD got it’s own base radio so it’s dispatchers could communicate directly with the officers.
Forrest recollects that the first police station was upstairs in the old city hall in two small rooms at the back of the building. There was a small jail in the basement, and more than once the prisoners would receive liquor or beer that had been passed though the street level windows!
A police/fire dispatcher lived in two rooms in the City Hall. She was expected to answer the telephones 24 hours a day, seven days a week! This was long before the 9-1-1 system was implemented and the dispatcher worked solo for the most part, and fielded all types of emergency and non-emergency calls.
Forrest assisted the King County Sheriff’s Department and the Coroner’s Office, and had commissions from both agencies. He also worked with the State Patrol on various details.
He described one incident in which two small children had been playing in a shallow sunken hole on Mountain Park Blvd. The children had been overcome by mine gas seeping from the olds mines in the area and when two officers responded to assist, they too were incapacitated. Fortunately, the fire department arrived and rescued everyone without serious or permanent injury.
Forrest left the department in 1971. He was employed as a heavy equipment operator in San Juan County and later worked for the State of Washington.
Forrest passed away on March 28, 2002 and was buried on his beloved Lopez Island. His wife, Ona Jean, survives him.
Served in 1958-59
Jack Allen took over as Chief of Police on September 15, 1958 after the resignation of Tom Bass.
Jack had a considerable background in law enforcement. He had been a Sergeant with the Bellevue Police Department; a State Patrolman for the State of North Dakota; a Deputy Sheriff; and Special Agent for the US Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Jack and Officer Edward L. Clark made up the entire department at that time. On November 29, 1958, Jack was involved in a serious auto accident in which his 1957 sedan was completely destroyed.
He suffered a fractured shoulder, back and neck injures, and lacerations to his face, hand, and head and later underwent surgery at Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle.
While Jack was recovering, Ed Clark covered the city by day, and ten officers from surrounding agencies volunteered their services for night patrol. They were: Sgt Al Lewin, Medina PD; Marty Beard and Floyd Greenback, former Bellevue Police Officers; Bill Dickson and Harry Hughes, Issaquah Auxiliary Officers; Bill Twitchell, KCSO Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff; Marshal Vern Clark, North Bend; Mayor Bill Gharmes, Mayor of North Bend and former Police Officer; and Richard Rickett, Auxiliary Marshal of North Bend.
Ray was born June 13, 1930 in Toppenish, Washington, the son of Ora and Martha Febus. He was raised in Toppenish and graduated from Toppenish High School.
Served in 1958
During the Korean War, he served in the U. S. Marine Corps. Ray moved to Issaquah in 1958 and joined the Issaquah Police Department, where he served as a Sergeant and as Acting Chief. He left that department in 1969.
Fraternally he was associated Kirkland Eagles and as a trustee of the Issaquah Eagles, Arie No. 3054.
Ray passed away on July 6, 1976. He is buried at Elmwood Cemetery, in Toppenish.
Paul Bell was born on December 14, 1914 in Covington, Tennessee, the son of Raymond and Leona (Stuart) Bell. Raymond’s family originated in England and Leona’s in Scotland.
Served in 1957
In 1930, at the age of seventeen, Paul left Covington and joined the US Navy. He finished High School while in the Navy, and started his service as an Electricians Striker (apprentice). He eventually managed to secure the coveted position as ships barber and served aboard the battleship, USS Colorado.
Paul left the Navy in 1935 and set up his own barbershop in Kirkland. In 1937 he married Valeria C. Green of Canada. Valeria, who was born November 13, 1914, opened Bells’ Beauty Shop at the rear of the barber shop.
Paul found barbering less than rewarding and sought a job with the King County Sheriff’s Office in 1937. While there he served with O.K. Bodia, Ted Crouse, Earl Allen, Bob Lee, Ed Staargard, Bill Severyns, and others. Paul mentioned that in those days there was no pension plan. Officers worked an eight-hour, six-day week. Paul was a trained member of the First Aid Team. These were the days before the fire department personnel were medically trained, and E-9-1-1 was still some plus 30 years into the future.
An interesting note was that officers were not paid for overtime, nor were they paid for training during non-duty hours! Paul remained with that agency as a Deputy Sheriff on patrol until 1942 when he again enlisted in the Navy.
He entered the service with an advanced rating as Pharmacist’s Mate 3d Class and was eventually promoted to 1st Class. He served with as a Lab Technician with the Dispensary – Advance Base Unit, in New Guinea, Hollandia and Moritai. In November 1945 he was assigned to the Naval Hospital at Bremerton and was mustered out of the Navy.
That same year Paul joined the Kirkland Police Department and served as a Patrolman until 1957, when he became Chief of the Issaquah Police Department. One of the first steps Paul took was to purchase badges for the force. At the time it was comprised of only himself, his Sergeant Tom Bass, and several auxiliary officers. All the officers had to provide their own uniforms, firearms, and ammunition. Paul retired from IPD in 1958.
Paul’s personal car was a 1938 Hudson Terraplane. Since he was on call twenty-four hours the car was equipped with a red light and siren. The uniform of those days was quite different from what we are used to seeing officers dressed in today. Paul wore a waist length uniform jacket with tie, a Sam Brown gun belt, Jodphur style breeches, and leather leggings which buckled on the side!
Bell was later employed for a short time by the Washington State Liquor Control Board.
Paul and Valeria left for Arizona and retirement in 1970. While there Paul was a member of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Posse. The area Paul lived in had a population of around 10,000 persons and numerous golf courses. As a former peace officer, Paul was deputized with full arrest powers. He and other posse members patrolled the area in golf carts, which enabled them to travel where other vehicles would prove impractical or damaging to the golfing greens. Paul and Valeria also enjoyed traveling cross country in the their motor home. They finally returned to the Issaquah area in 1990.
Fraternally Paul was the past Commander of the American Legion Post #83, and a Life Member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He was also active with the Kirkland Chamber of Commerce, The Kiwanis, The Elks and The Eagles Lodges. He was also a member of the Washington State Police Officers Association and the Northwest Police Officers Association.
Paul is active in the area and resides at the Bellwood Retirement Center. His wife, Valeria passed away in the spring of 1996 after suffering a massive stroke.
Ed Seil was born August 25, 1897 in Issaquah. His parents were Adam Edward and Ellen Price Seil. His Grandfather was originally from Belgium and his Grandmother was from Wales.
Ed, who’s nickname was Nogs, spent his early years on the family ranch, a thirty-two acre spread on Tiger Mountain that had been settled in 1887 by his Grandfather, Ben Price. The ranch possessed over one thousand chickens, numerous pigs, five milk-cows, a horse, extensive gardens and a large hay production capability.
The ranch house was a busy affair. Ed, and sons; Walter Wood, Rex Price, William Edward, Jack Raymond, Leonard, Chester George, and sisters; Keturah Ellen and Mabel Gertrud, shared the place with Mom and Dad and a couple of boarders!
Ed started school at the Pickering Hill School, and finished at the Taylor School in Taylor. He started working at an early age, and even tried his hand as a type setter for the Seattle Post Intelligencer newspaper. During World War I his draft lottery number came up, but luckily the war ended before he was called to active duty.
On April 27, 1917, Ed married Josephine Elmira Wood at the Odd Fellows Hall. She was born May 27, 1901 in Ponka, Nebraska. When she was two weeks old, she and her family moved to Monohon, (a community then located near present day SE. 32nd St and East Lake Sammamish Parkway SE.). In the 1930’s and early 40’s, Ed worked as a contract “Gypo” logger near Greenwater.
As Town Marshal, Ed had a great rapport with citizens and law-breakers alike. More often than not, he would lock up minor offenders, feed them breakfast, and turn them loose after a stern lecture concerning their transgression. On one occasion he had to fire his revolver into the headlight of an oncoming car, driven by a drunk 17 year-old. The car came to a stop and the driver was arrested without incident. On July 9, 1951 Ed was offered the job as Town Marshal by then Mayor Castagno, which Ed accepted. His pay at that time was $350.50 per month! Jack, Ed’s son, assisted as Deputy Marshal for some time. It appears that Jack Allen, and Tom Crossley also acted as Deputies at some point during Ed’s term of office.
Ed also solved case involving a burglary from an Issaquah jewelry store. While on patrol, he ran across a juvenile that was wearing five watches! Thinking this odd, Ed questioned the lad who confessed to his participation in the burglary. Ed also caught another burglar at Tony and Johnnie’s Market, which at the time was across from the Eagle’s Club on Front Street North. Ed took the sixteen year-old boy to his father and explained the situation, and the father reportedly “took matters in hand.” This was an era when corporal punishment for naughty children was expected..
On November 1, 1955, Ed was replaced as Marshal by Elmo Hudgens. Ed then went to work for the Public Works Department of Issaquah. He retired as Superintendent in 1965, with a combined total of twenty-two years service to the city.
Ed was an avid baseball player and fan. From 1915 to 1927 he was a member of an organized team and played with Jack Favini, Bill Chammer, Bert Hoyie and others. Fraternally, he was associated with The Eagles Lodge, Aerie #3054.
In 1945, Ed moved back to Issaquah where he, his wife, and son Walt bought the Grand Central Hotel. The hotel, built in 1903, was an elaborate facility at that time. In those early days, it boasted a double-decked front porch supported by four columns and an elevated wooden sidewalk that kept passersby out of the mud and water of the yet unpaved Mill Street (now named E. Sunset Way). When purchased in 1945, the hotel had ten single rooms, and a large dormitory. The dormitory was primarily rented out by the State for laborers working on Highway 10 (the Sunset Highway), which follows the route now designated as I-90. The hotel also had separate apartments on the side and in the rear of the building. The hotel was sold in the early 1970’s.In 1945, Ed moved back to Issaquah where he, his wife, and son Walt bought the Grand Central Hotel. The hotel, built in 1903, was an elaborate facility at that time. In those early days, it boasted a double-decked front porch supported by four columns and an elevated wooden sidewalk that kept passersby out of the mud and water of the yet unpaved Mill Street (now named E. Sunset Way).
Ed passed away on October 13, 1975 and Josephine, his wife of fifty-three years, died on February 16, 1971. They are both laid to rest at Hillside Cemetery.
A special thanks to Walt and Olga Seil for providing much of this information on this man who “Kept the Peace” in a town that meant so much to him.
CONNECT WITH US
Follow us on Facebook
MUSEUM HOURS & LOCATION
Gilman Town Hall
165 SE Andrews Street
Open Thurs-Fr-Sat, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Depot Museum
78 First Avenue NE
Open Fri-Sat-Sun, 11am-3pm
Issaquah Valley Trolley
78 First Avenue NE
Open May 9, 2015