1730 10th Avenue NW
Pickering Barn was the center of Issaquah’s largest dairy farm for many years. The land surrounding the barn was purchased from earlier homesteaders by Washington territorial governor William Pickering in 1867. Today the barn is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Construction on the hay barn began in 1878, and the large dairy barn area was added in 1906. Though parts of the property were later used as a Navy flight training facility and a “skyport” for recreational parachutists and hang-gliders, the barn and its immediate surroundings were maintained by the Pickering family for agricultural purposes until it was donated to the city of Issaquah in 1994.
Finding the barn buildings in dangerously poor shape, the city spent $2 million restoring them for use as a recycling center. Over 80% of the siding, columns and beams were salvaged from the original barn structure for reuse in the renovation — though modern recycled materials were also used extensively. The recycling center idea fell through, and and barn has served for brief stints as home of a local public market and for King County District Court. Long terms plans for the property are still under debate.
Though the barn is adjacent to the large Pickering Place commercial and retail center, the land to the immediate south and east of the barn is an undeveloped wetlands area, and includes one of widest and most pristine sections of Issaquah Creek.
The Pickering Barn is owned and operated by the City of Issaquah. To inquire about renting the facility, please call the Issaquah Parks Department at (425)837-3321.
Pickering Barn Chronology through 1996
This chronology comes from a 1996 City of Issaquah planning brochure on the Pickering Barn project.