Posts

Bellevue Hotel

Looking back: Bellevue Hotel

Published in the Issaquah Press on June 24, 1988

LookBack6-24-98BThousands drive by the intersection of Front Street and Sunset Way each day, giving the downtown intersection (below) a thoroughly modern, busy feel despite nearby architecture from the old days. However, the corner has been a busy place for more than 100 years. Thomas and Mary Francis build the Bellevue Hotel on the southeast corner of this intersection, completing construction in May 1888. A very early picture of the structure (above) shows the two-story hotel with board sidewalks on the north and west side, a small one-story addition to the east side and a one-story addition to the rear of the structure. A dining room is located in the back of the hotel, with an entrance on the west side. Even in Squak, Washington Territory, in 1888, the local residents had an eye for nature. Note the small tree that had been planted in front of the hotel, protected by a board frame”

Bellevue Hotel

The Bellevue hotel was completed in May 1888. [IHM photo 72.21.14.217]

Bellevue Hotel

Looking back: Bellevue Hotel

Published in the Issaquah Press on July 1, 1988

Bellevue Hotel

Bellevue Hotel circa 1912. [IHM photo]

The Bellevue Hotel, at the southeast corner of the intersection between Front Street and Sunset Way, was quite a landmark in the early 1900’s. This photo, taken around 1912, shows that the entrance to the hotel was moved to the one story addition on the east side of the building. The double doors provided an entrance to the tavern, where “No Minors Allowed” adorns the glass above the doors. That tree that was so small in the previous photo is now a hearty specimen, and there are both power and telephone poles in place on each side of the structure.

Mill Street

Looking back: Corner of Front and Sunset

Published in the Issaquah Press on July 22, 1998

Mill Street

Looking East down Mill Street, now known as Sunset Way, circa 1920. [IHM photo photo 91.7.91]

In 1917, the Francis family sells the Bellevue Hotel to Wilson Tibbetts, who starts an automotive garage in the building. Tibbetts soon sells to Case and Lee Hepler and, sometime around 1919, the front of the old hotel is removed and a new one-story brick structure is built to house a Ford sales and service center. This view is looking eastward down Mill Street, now known as Sunset Way. The concrete paving of Mill Street, which occurred in the mid-1920s, has yet to be done in this photograph. Later, the dealership becomes Hepler Motors, where model-T Fords cost $365.

Hepler Motors 1948

Looking back: Hepler Motors

Published in the Issaquah Press on July 22, 1998

Hepler Motors 1948

Big debut of 1949 Ford models at Hepler Auto Sales, 1948. Lee Hepler is at left. Girl on right is Beverly Morril, whose father was a salesperson at Hepler. Woman in center is Minnie Schomber. [IHM photo 72.021.014.064H ]

The original site of the 1888 Bellevue Hotel at the corner of Front Street and Sunset Way became home to a Ford dealership, Hepler Motors, in the late 1940s. The last standing portion of the hotel was removed and a new concerte three-bay service area was added to the brick building. Lee Hepler sold the business on his 60th birthday, and the dealership continued as Foothills Ford, Eastage Motors and Malone Ford before it was demolished following damage suffered in the 1965 earthquake.

Front Street and Sunset Way 1971

Looking back: Corner of Front and Sunset

Published in the Issaquah Press on July 29, 1998

Front Street and Sunset Way 1971

Front Street and Sunset Way 1971 [IHM photo photo 72.21.14.118L]

As our trek through time nears modern day, we find that the southeast corner of the Front Street and Sunset Way intersection has evolved a great deal since the Bellevue Hotel first stood there in 1888. After the Ford dealership was torn down after the 1965 earthquake, the popular corner became home to a gas station. This photo, take in 1971, shows a Gulf station at the location. Later it was to become a Gull station before Texaco grabbed the location. Note the flashing light to help traffic through the intersection-and the signs of retail development behind the gas station.

 

Bank of Issaquah

Looking back: Bank of Issaquah

Published in the Issaquah Press on August 5, 1998

Bank of Issaquah

Bank of Issaquah. [IHM photo 89.13.4]

Banks will be the topic of Looking Back for the next few weeks. The top photo is the very first bank in Issaquah, appropriately called First Bank. It was founded by W.W. Sylvester and located in what was then the old Mine Co. office building, according to records kept by the Issaquah Historical Society. Today, the Front Street location of First Bank would be best pinpointed as the north end of the Wold Building, between the old two-story Oddfellows Hall and the basketry shop. (as seen in bottom photo).

 

Issaquah Bank

Looking back: Bank of Issaquah

Published in the Issaquah Press on August 12, 1998

Issaquah Bank

Issaquah Bank [IHM photo photo 89.37.1]

If you’ve ever wondered why the west side of Front Street has wider sidewalks than the east side, the answer lies in this 1910 photograph of the Bank of Issaquah. Located at 111 Front St. N., where the Bicycle Center now resides, the community’s second bank was full of modern inventions. On the left side of the building is the concrete mixer that poured the city’s first concrete sidewalk. Bank owner W.W. Sylvester felt that 11 feet was the optimum width for his sidewalk, so he had his bank set back from Front Street three feet farther than other existing buildings. He eventually talked other business owners into moving their buildings back three feet as well. As a side-note, Sylvester also owned a gravel pit northeast of town. Another modern touch on the bank building was the wireless telegraph (note antennae on rooftop).

 

Bank of Issaquah

Looking back: Bank of Issaquah

Published in the Issaquah Press on August 19, 1998

Bank of Issaquah

Bank of Issaquah [IHM photo 72.21.14.179A]

The Bank of Issaquah was well on its way to becoming one of the primary professional hubs for the community in 1914. At the time this photo was taken, Dr. O.A. Kells had recently opened his office on the second floor of the structure. Although Issaquah previously was home to a physician, Kells was the first surgeon in the growing young town. Dr. C.C. Dobbs, a dentist, also was a tenant in the bank building. A report indicated that typewriters were delivered to the employees at the bank and the doctors, putting them on par with their counterparts in Seattle.

 

Tibbetts Hotel

Looking back: Tibbetts Hotel and Store

Published in the Issaquah Press on June 23, 1999

Tibbetts Hotel

George W. Tibbetts was one of Issaquah’s earliest entrepreneurs. In addition to his hotel and store, he also became involved in farming hops and running a stage line, as well as in local and state government. The hotel shown here was built in 1884 and burned to the ground in July 1900. Living quarters and rooms to rent were upstairs. [IHM photo 92-24-6, p13, #11 Arcadia book caption]

With the recent completion of the second Issaquah Park-n-Ride lot along State Route 900 just south of Interstate 90, now is a good time to examine the history of that area. It previously was known as Goode’s Corner. This photo shows George W. Tibbetts Hotel and Store, which was built in 1884 and served as the local stage stop and overnight resting place. It was a popular locale until it was destroyed by fire in July 1900.

 

Goode Farm

Looking back: Goode Farm

Published in the Issaquah Press on June 30, 1999

Goode Farm

Goode Farm before 1900. [IHM photo]

This week continues our look at Goode’s Corner, which was located in the vicinity of the intersection between State Route 900 and Newport Way. In this photo, taken after 1900, the Goode home stands out, with the road that is now Newport Way running behind it.  The cleared valley behind the Goode home is now filled with various retail shops.

Ida Goode Walimaki, a local descendant of one of Issaquah’s pioneer families, was raised in this house and still lives there at 1810 N. W. Goode Place.