Quasquicentennial: Issaquah’s 125th


On April 29, the City of Issaquah kicked off a year-long celebration of Issaquah, in honor of the town’s  quasquicentennial – or 125th birthday! The festivities will include a time capsule full of things that symbolize Issaquah as it is today. The time capsule will eventually rest beneath one of the school cornerstones behind the Gilman Town Hall, and will be opened in 2092 for Issaquah’s bicentennial celebration.

A time capsule is a great way to represent Issaquah as it is right now. The Issaquah History Museums are creating their own digital time capsule, filled with 125 things from Issaquah’s past. For each year since Issaquah’s incorporation, we are sharing a photograph, artifact, oral history, article, or other history-related goody. Follow up on Facebook to see these posts immediately, or visit this page.

And remember: it’s your history, Issaquah. We’re just keeping it for you.

Today’s Post

1954

In 1954, Will and Anna Brooks were Grand Marshalls of the Labor Day Parade that ended on Memorial Field. The Brooks owned a dairy farm in the Issaquah Valley.

1954 Labor Day Parade Grand Marshals [IHM 2005.032.002]

Previous

1054 Labor Day Parade Grand Marshals [IHM 2005.032.002]

1954

In 1954, Will and Anna Brooks are Grand Marshalls of the Labor Day Parade that ends on Memorial Field. The Brooks owned a dairy farm in the Issaquah Valley. #Issaquah125

Washington State Bank

1953

In 1953, this photo is taken of the the Washington State Bank. Formerly the Bank of Issaquah, the bank was remodeled in 1949. The unfinished north side of the building indicates a belief that an adjacent building would be constructed in that location. 50 years later, the side is still exposed and still unfinished. #Issaquah125

James Hooker "Pinky" Hailstone, far right, with wife Dorothy and children Candy and Don.

1952

In 1952, Labor Day “criminals” peer from behind bars. They were convicted of being caught without a beard, and were not released until bail, a hefty one-dollar fine, was paid. #Issaquah125

Mayor Bill Flintoft

1951

In 1951, Bill Flintoft is appointed to Issaquah’s City Council. He goes on to serve as Issaquah’s Mayor, a position he holds longer than any other before him. #Issaquah125

July 25 1950

1950

In 1950, Malinda, the daughter of Issaquah High band director Bill Klein, wanders off and is lost for 4 hours, inspiring a number of townspeople to join the hunt. #Issaquah125

Ray Robertson

1949

In 1949, Raymond J. Robertson serves as Town Marshal. One of the changes he brings about is the purchase of Issaquah’s first squad car. #Issaquah125

Kiwanis Follies program

1948

In 1948, the Issaquah Kiwanis Club hosts the Kiwanis Follies, a variety show emceed by writer Richard Erickson, publisher of the Town Crier newspaper. Soda sales at intermission benefit the Issaquah High PTA. #Issaquah125

Introducing 1948 Ford models at Hepler Auto Sales

1947

In 1947, Hepler Auto Sales premieres the 1948 Ford models at this community celebration. #Issaquah125

Handkerchief

1945

In 1945, Rose Koss Croston owns this handkerchief. She jas three sons (James, Roy, and Elsworth) who serve in the military during World War II. #Issaquah125

Wilbur Pickering in uniform in 1944

1944

In 1944, Wilbur Pickering is one of many young men in Issaquah who enlists to serve their country during World War II. Wilbur served in the Marines. #Issaquah125

World War II ration book of stamps used to purchase certain items during the war. Was issued to Andrew L Wold by the Office of Price Administration. [IHM 88.010.001]

1943

In 1943, this ration book was issued to Andy Wold, as World War II continued. #Issaquah125

Four men of varying ages stand backstage at the Village Theatre in Issaquah in 1942. Left to right: Theatre owner John D. Brunsberg, Lester Alvin "Smiley" Burnette, Gene Autry, and John Daniel "Danny" Brunsberg. The oral history that came with the image is that Danny is 17 in the picture; he was born in 1925. His father, John D., died in 1943. Gene Autry left his Hollywood career for military service in World War II in July of 1942, so this picutre was probably taken earlier that year.
The black and white image was probably a professional p.r. shot, taken as part of a personal appearance tour done by Autry and Burnette to promote one of their many films together. They are both in western costume, as they would be for their film characters. The comic Burnette is in a silly hat with extra-large turned-up brim and loose neckerchief over a checked shirt, and Autry is in his trademark white hat above a neat neckerchief, striped and piping decorated shirt, fancy belts and holster. The Brunsbergs were dressed for working the front of the house, with Mr. Brunsberg in a three-piece suit and tie, carrying a white fedora, and Danny in a plaid sports jacket over a loose-necked white shirt. At the left background, in soft focus, two women and another man in western gear are seated. Stage lighting and equipment are visible at the top and right sides of the image. [IHM 2016.018.001]

1942

In 1942, a promotional image featuring Gene Autry is taken at the Issaquah Theatre. #Issaquah125

World War II ration book of stamps used to purchase certain items during the war. Was issued to Andrew L Wold by the Office of Price Administration. [IHM 88.010.001]

1941

In 1941, World War II starts, and many young men leave to join the armed forces. Issaquahns at home helped with the war effort through planting victory gardens, watching for enemy aircraft at the fire station, and selling war bonds. #Issaquah125

Although photographs from the mid 20th century seem to show the town of Issaquah as small and timeless, by the 1950s, change was already occurring. The Lake Washington Floating Bridge, the first bridge across the lake, opened in 1940. This new path dramatically shortened the time needed to get from Issaquah to Seattle. The opening of the bridge meant that more Issaquah residents could find employment in Seattle - and that more Seattle residents could move to the east side of Lake Washington and still commute to work. During the 1950s, Seattle's population dropped from 700,000 to 550,000 as a migration to the suburbs began. This program is a souvenir of the bridge's dedication ceremony, held July 2, 1940. [IHM 74.009.161]

1940

In 1940, the first floating bridge over Lake Washington is built, making it possible to travel quickly from Issaquah to Seattle. #Issaquah125

[72.021.014.096]

1939

In 1939, the State of Washington celebrates its Golden Jubilee. Issaquahns celebrated with the rest of the state. Pictured here in their Jubilee Hats are (left to right) Jacob Wilfong, Ray Schneider, Jacob Schomber, Dan Davies, Clint Brady, Walter Ek, G. B. Monce, and George Ek. #Issaquah125

[IHM 2009.014.002]

1938

In 1938, Ivor Morgan, the son of an Issaquah coal-miner, attends George Washington Medical school in Washington, DC. #Issaquah125

21270901_1598573886840350_1640491882109581024_n

1936

In 1936, the Town of Issaquah formally deeds City Park land over to the State Department of Fisheries, for the construction of a salmon hatchery. #Issaquah125

[IHM 2000.003.015]

1935

In 1935, Mona Jane Beers holds a third birthday party at the home of her grandparents, Edith and Charles Beers. #Issaquah125

Issaquah's Main Street in 1934 [IHM 2002.0041.31ab-2]

1934

In 1934 this property map is published, showing who owned property on Issaquah’s Main Street (which is today Andrews Street). #Issaquah125

Alpines-Design

1933

In 1933, the Issaquah Alpines win their first regional championship. They would go on to win another 7, setting a regional record. #Issaquah125

Donna Pedegana in her senior portrait, 1948.

1930

In 1930, following the crash of 1929, the nation is plunged into a Great Depression. Like others nationwide, Issaquah residents are impacted by the Depression in a variety of ways. #Issaquah125

Issaquah Kiwanis 75 Years

1929

In 1929, the Kiwanis Club of Issaquah is formed in 1929 – and continues to service the Issaquah community to this day. #Issaquah125

Issaquah Valley Dairy truck with driver [IHM 2011.035.001]

1928

In 1928, Henry Bergsma founds the Issaquah Valley Dairy, which delivered milk throughout the area until the dairy farm closed in 1962.. #Issaquah125

2002-20-1

1927

In 1927, this group of Issaquah High thespians poses for a picture. Stage make-up and costuming suggest that the play may have featured pirates or gypsies – or both. #Issaquah125

Caption

1926

The IHS Exhaust was a regular publication of Issaquah High School. This 1926 issue publicizes an upcoming concert, discusses school spirit, and reminds students of appropriate stairway safety, among other topics. #Issaquah125

72-21-14-278

1925

By 1925, the Issaquah Depot is closed to passenger service, largely because automobiles are becoming more widespread. One stage, operated by Lorenzo Francis, has a regular stop in front of the Grand Central Hotel. #Issaquah125

72-21-14-42d

1924

In 1924, Andy Wold opens his hardware store in the Wold Building. The Wold Building still exists today, on the northeastern corner of Front & Sunset. #Issaquah125

Bill Evans

1923

In 1923, Bill Evans is born in Issaquah, WA. Bill lived most of his life in Issaquah, and he participated in a 2006 oral history project shortly before his death. Bill’s easygoing nature, flair for telling stories, and affection for his hometown are all evident in the interiew. #Issaquah125

From the December 31, 1922 Seattle Times.

1922

In 1922, Elsie Wendt, the wife of an Issaquah miner, makes the papers when she goes to the mines to learn her husband’s job. #Issaquah125

John Fischer Cash Market with a 1920s era truck. [IHM 72.021.014.031]

1921

In the early 1920s, John Fisher Cash Market, precursor to Fischer Meats, opens. #Issaquah125

Ben Legg

1920

In 1920, Ben Legg made a name for himself in the Seattle newspapers. Read about the real person behind “Bad Ben Legg.” #Issaquah125

Livestock in downtown Issaquah. [IHM 72-21-14-90b]

1919

In 1919, an ordinance is passed prohibiting cattle from running at large in the streets. Violators are subject to fines as high as $25. #Issaquah125

Jake Schomber and Minnie Wilson, circa 1917

1918

Minnie Wilson and her sweetheart, Jake Schomber, wrote to each other during the time he was in the army. This dramatic scene from their love story took place in 1918. . #Issaquah125

Alvo von Alvensleben

1917

In1917 Alvo von Albensleben, manager of the Issaquah & Superior Mine, is named as a suspected spy after the United States became involved in World War I. Albensleben and his family were interned for years beyond the end of World War I. #Issaquah125

Circa 1916 photo of Nikko family. [IHM 2001.022.001]

1916

In 1916, this photograph of the Nikko family is taken. The Nikkos are one of a number of Finnish immigrants who found their way to the Issaquah area to settle. #Issaquah125

86-18-244

1915

In 1915, George W. Tibbetts drafts the bill for a Snoqualmie Pass highway and pushes it through state legislature. #Issaquah125

April 141914 Seattle Times

1914

In1914, in an effort to convince county officials that the north end of Issaquah is in need of a drainage system, Issaquahns bring a great number of frogs to a meeting at the Town Hall to prove their point. #Issaquah125

Alvo von Alvensleben

1913

In 1913, Issaquah & Superior Coal Company begins operations under the management of the colorful German Alvo von Albensleben. #Issaquah125

Issaquah High School graduates, 1911. Left to right: Mary Gibson, Olive Gibson, and Mabel Ek.

1911

In1911, the first three graduates of Issaquah High School receive their diplomas; Issaquah’s newest high school is named after these three young women. #Issaquah125

Letter from John Neukirchen to Superintendent, Northern Pacific Railway Company. January 4, 1910.

1910

In1910, John Neukirchen seeks to have a rail spur built just south of town for use by the Neukirchen Brothers Mill. A collection of railroad documents chronicles the challenges both the Neukirchens and the Northern Pacific encounter in this seemingly simple request. #Issaquah125

94-7-68

1909

In 1909, the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition opens. This pass allows George Day to see the Exposition for up to seven days #Issaquah125

Paul Koss

1907

In 1907, Paul Koss is born to Austro-Hungarian immigrants. He lived in Issaquah for more than 99 years, and participated in a Memory Book project in 2000. #Issaquah125

The Drylie Family

1906

In 1906, John Drylie serves as Town Marshal. Issaquah’s marshalls didn’t receive much in the way of formal training, and were responsible for things like herding cattle out of the street and replacing light bulbs in the street lights. #Issaquah125

fic-2008-8

1905

In 1905, someone creates this wallet, which eventually finds its way into the collections of the Issaquah History Museums. Who was Ricardo? What do the B and C stand for? There are still many mysteries within our collections…. #Issaquah125

S[arah] A McPherson Wilson, November 4th 1822

1904

On this day in 1904, the wedding of Wilhilmena Stevens and John J. Eastlick is celebrated in Issaquah. Friends and relatives of the bride collaborate on this bridal quilt. #Issaquah125

Grand Central

1903

In 1903, James Croston finishes construction of his new hotel, the Grand Central. The Grand Central is the only one of Issaquah’s many early 20th Century hotel buildings to survive into the 21st Century. #Issaquah125

Alexander House in 1999

1902

In 1902, the Alexander House is constructed. The (relocated and expanded) building now serves as headquarters for the Chamber of Commerce. #Issaquah125

Dr. Hiram R. Corson came to Issaquah to work for the Issaquah Coal Company in the role of company doctor. He served as mayor for two terms from 1901 to 1905. [Image 72.021.014.176 ; Issaquah History Museums]

1901

In 1901, Hiram R. Corson is sworn in as Mayor of Issaquah. Dr. Corson served as the official mine physician for many years. #Issaquah125

Detail of The Issaquah Independent's eighth anniversary edition.

1900

In 1900, The Issaquah Independent newspaper begins publication. The Issaquah Independent later became the Issaquah Press, which closed its doors in February of 2017. #Issaquah125

72-21-14-35

1899

In 1899, the Snoqualmie Power Station is constructed on Mill Street to provide power to the town – which also changes its name from Gilman to Issaquah in this year. #Issaquah125

Home-Gilman

1898

In 1898, the town of Gilman purchases the Gilman Town Hall building from Ingebright Wold for use as the town’s seat of government. #Issaquah125

1897 letter from Walter Lorin Lane to Bertha Wold.

1897

In 1897 William Lane, of California, sends one in a series of letters to Bertha Wold. Lane courted Bertha by mail for years, but did not win her heart. #Issaquah125

86-18-242c

1896

In 1896, a team of oxen would skid a load of logs on the east side of Lake Sammamish. After unhooking the team from log, the men would use peavies to roll the log down the skids and into the lake for rafting to the mill. #Issaquah125

William Wold

1894

In 1894, William Wold of Eastern Washington senda one in a long series of correspondence to his sister Bertha, in what was then Gilman, WA. #Issaquah125

2003-2-1

1893

In 1893, the earliest known image of the Pickering Barn is taken, featuring members of the Reard and Geise families, who worked on the Pickering Farm for a time. #Issaquah125

Gilman's Depot, circa 1892

1892

The residents of the rapidly-growing Squak Valley settlement vote to incorporate their settlement as the town of Gilman, named after railroad founder Daniel Hunt Gilman. #Issaquah125