Historical Buildings and Sites

Many historic buildings still remain in Issaquah, along with some significant new buildings. Both old and new structures add character. This page is a launch pad for information and pictures about many of Issaquah’s special buildings and places, both new and old. This list doesn’t imply any kind of registry, and does not include private residences.


Alexander House in 1999

Alexander House

155 NW Gilman Blvd Once a familiar landmark on the east shore of Lake Sammamish, this house was built by Thomas and Caroline Alexander in 1902 on land which was known for most of the century as Alexander’s Resort. Thomas Alexander had earlier been the “walking boss” (traveling construction supervisor) for the Seattle, Lakeshore and […]

Issaquah Bank

Bank of Issaquah Building

111 Front Street North This was a particularly ornate bank building when it was built in 1910 to replace an early wood-frame of the Bank of Issaquah.  At that time, the upper floor served as office space for area dentists and doctors.  Over time, sections of the building were used to house the Issaquah Post […]

Boehms Candies

Boehms Candies

255 Gilman Boulevard North The Boehm’s Story Located in downtown Issaquah in an authentic Alpine Chalet, Boehm’s Candies, Inc. has a history as unique as any of the one hundred and fifty types of chocolate and other confectionaries manufactured on its premises. Even more remarkably, the shop still operates with many of the traditions and […]

Coutts Building

Coutts Building

99 Front Street North History This building has housed many Issaquah businesses since it was constructed, replacing the earlier Coutts Building, in 1913. Cornelius Coutts returned from Alaska and purchased the Tolle Anderson Front Street business lot for $800. Coutts and his wife Eva started a dry goods store in Issaquah in a small, false […]

Finney's Market

Finney’s Market (Peters Agency)

71 Front Street North History J.W. Finney constructed his first meat market on this site circa 1900. In 1904, a fire devastated a large part of Issaquah’s downtown, including Finney’s building. The Issaquah Independent reported that “Incendiarism was suspected as having started in the Issaquah Coal Company store next door to the market.” This was […]

Gibson Hall

Gibson Hall

105 Newport Way SW Today’s Gibson Hall began life in 1936 as a three-sided picnic shelter constructed by the Works Progress Administration. The hall also had its own outbuilding that provided for restrooms and storage. Town Park was also the site of the Issaquah Free Campground and another WPA project, the State Salmon Hatcher. In […]

Gilman Town Hall

Gilman Town Hall Museum

165 SE Andrews Street The Gilman Town Hall was constructed in 1888 as a community hall. The Town of Gilman purchased the building in 1898 for use as the Town Hall. In addition to providing a place for governance, the building served, at varying times, as a polling place, library, school, police station, and fire […]

Gilman Village

Gilman Village

317 NW Gilman Blvd The Gilman Village Story Gilman Village is a union of old buildings with a new purpose. The idea began in 1972 when Betty Konarski and Marilyn Gray convinced developers Marvin and Ruth Mohl that unwanted buildings could be saved, moved and refurbished to create an attractive business district. While the buildings all have […]

Ginko Tree

Ginkgo Tree

90 Front St South This rare Ginkgo tree was planted by Dr. W.E. Gibson (a physician) at the start of the twentieth century. Dr. Gibson became Issaquah’s mayor in 1900 and served several additional terms as mayor and in the state legislature over the next 25 years. His family home was located on this site until it […]

Grand Central

Grand Central Hotel

58 East Sunset Way When the Grand Central Hotel was constructed, Issaquah was a stopover point for passengers traveling by train from Seattle to Snoqualmie. James Henry Croston, who worked in the mines as a carpenter, built the hotel in 1903 and operated it until his death in 1913. The family eventually sold the hotel […]

The Grange Mercantile

Grange Mercantile Building

485 Front Street North From the 1998 “Issaquah Historic Property Inventory”: History The Grange Mercantile Association was organized by Issaquah Valley Grange No. 581 in 1916 and built this warehouse with large-scale ice-box and refrigeration rooms for general merchandise. The Mercantile Association served the food needs of the Issaquah community for 55 years before closing […]

The Hailstone Schell Station

Hailstone Feed Store

232 Front Street North On December 18, 2003 the Issaquah Landmarks Commission met at the Issaquah Depot to discuss proposals to name two historic Issaquah buildings as City landmarks. The buildings under discussion were the Depot and the Hailstone Feed Store. Both buildings were granted landmark status. The feed store building, located on the east […]

Hillside Cemetery

Hillside Cemetery

Between Mt. Park Boulevard and Sunset Way Issaquah’s cemetery, located above downtown to the west, is composed of rolling hills with large, mature cedars and heritage trees. The site is visibly tied to the landscape of the forested foothills of the Cascade Mountains. Granite and stone grave markers date from the late 19th Century. Thirty […]

image19

IOOF Hall

58 Front Street North This is the oldest remaining commercial structure in Issaquah, having been constructed in 1888 by The Gilman Lodge # 69, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In addition to serving as lodge and community meeting hall, From the 1998 “Issaquah Historic Property Inventory”: History The Issaquah Odd Fellows Hall was […]

Issaquah Auto Freight Building

Issaquah Auto Freight Building

185 First Avenue NE One of the Issaquah History Museums’ best kept secrets, the Restoration Shop contains a variety of tools, treasures, and vintage working machinery. Open house visitors can admire a set of Burma Shave signs, one of old Issaquah’s original wooden water pipes, a vintage Fairmont speeder used in track-work and repair, and […]

Issaquah Community Center

Issaquah Community Center

301 Rainier Boulevard S The community center, both inside and out, is the center of Issaquah’s Parks and Recreation activities. Some of the inside amenities include a computer lab, fitness area, running track, sports courts, and youth center. The expansive front lawn is the home of frequent summer music concerts, and the City puts together […]

Darigold & Issaquah Creek

Issaquah Creamery (Darigold Plant)

611 Front St N Issaquah’s Darigold Plant has been site of the continuous operation of a dairy facility since 1909. In that year, it was opened as the “Northwestern Milk Condensing Company” by a group of local businessmen looking for an outlet for the area’s dairy farms. Under the auspices of the Commercial Club, Tolle Anderson […]

Gilman's Depot, circa 1892

Issaquah’s Northern Pacific Depot

78 First Avenue NE Issaquah’s Depot was constructed in 1889, and helped to transform the small farming community into a bustling coal town. It was originally built under the auspices of Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railway, but became part of the Northern Pacific network after the Panic of 1893 shut down the SLS&E. In the 1980s, […]

Pilot House of Issaquah Ferry

Issaquah Ferry Pilot Houses (Sausalito, CA)

300 Napa Street, Sausalito, California The ferry ISSAQUAH has gone through a long life’s journey since its maiden journey on Lake Washington on May 2, 1914. Most of the ferry is history, but the two pilot houses are preserved and on display in the Galilee Harbor parking lot in Sausalito, California. As of September 1999, […]

Issaquah's library, drawing

Issaquah Library

10 Sunset Way Issaquah’s 15,000-square-foot library opened June 4, 2001. Just west of the library, along Sunset Way, a new, two-level garage provides free parking for visitors. Construction of the new facility took 18 months and cost about $8.2 million. As of opening day, 28 “state-of-the-art” computers were available for research, writing and recreation. The […]

Issaquah Police Station

Issaquah Police Station and Jail

130 Sunset Way On April 8, 2000, the Issaquah Police Department had its grand opening and ribbon cutting at the new police station. Newscaster Tony Ventrella was Master of Ceremonies, and he brought two wonderful female singers to sing the National Anthem. Mayor Ava Frisinger and Chief of Police Dag Garrison both gave inspirational speeches […]

Salmon at the Issaquah Hatchery

Issaquah Salmon Hatchery

125 West Sunset Way With more than 300,000 visitors each year, the Issaquah Salmon Hatchery is easily the most-visited hatchery in the state.  The best time to visit is September and October, when the salmon return to the hatchery up Issaquah Creek and when the Friends of the Issaquah Salmon Hatchery (F.I.S.H.) offers public tours. […]

Issaquah Sportsmen's Club

Issaquah Sportsmen’s Club*

23600 Evans Street The Issaquah Sportsmen’s Club clubhouse was built during the great depression (1937), using funding from the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The clubhouse has been continuously used by the Issaquah Sportsman’s Club, with many activities open to the public. The Issaquah Alps Trails Club was founded at the clubhouse in 1979, and the […]

Village Theatre's First Stage

Issaquah Theater (Village Theatre First Stage)

120 Front St. North From the 1998 Issaquah Historic Property Inventory: History Mr. Rufus H. Glenn came to Issaquah in 1912 and opened a theater in town. And in 1913 he built the Issaquah Theater Building (called Glenn Theater at the time) at this site where silent films were shown. The theater has a flat floor, […]

Trails House/Sylvester House

Issaquah Trails Center/Reconstructed Sylvester House

11o SE Bush Street The “Trails House” is owned by the City of Issaquah and used primarily as a meeting place and headquarters for the Issaquah Alps Trails Club.  The single cozy meeting room is used for committee and board meetings for various organizations and the City. The lean-to section in the back contains public […]

Lake Sammamish State Park

Lake Sammamish State Park

20606 SE 56th Street Lake Sammamish State Park is a 512-acre day-use park with 6,858 feet of waterfront on Lake Sammamish. The area around the lake was an important culture zone for local Indian tribes for centuries. The park provides deciduous forest and wetland vegetation for the enjoyment of visitors. A salmon-bearing creek and a […]

Steam Donkey Display

Logging History Display

100 Block First Avenue The logging display at the City of Issaquah’s “Preservation Park” was created over the course of the 1990’s by many volunteers, and is maintained by the Issaquah Historical Society. At the center of the display is a “road engine”, which were used throughout the area in the late 1800’s and early […]

Masonic Hall, 1999

Masonic Hall

55 West Sunset Way From the 1998 Issaquah Historic Property Inventory: History The Masonic Hall has played significant roles in the building of community in Issaquah. First, serving as a fraternal lodge, the hall was the site of socializing and the development of community ties. A newspaper photo and caption in the Issaquah Historic Society […]

Larry Kangas, at work on the logging mural

Mill Street Logging Mural

Corner of Sunset Way and First Avenue NE This 1998 mural depicts Issaquah’s logging industry circa 1900-1940. At this time, old growth cedar and fir logs were being cut from the hills surrounding Issaquah and milled in the town’s many lumber mills. There were a number of railroad spurs that made transport of lumber into […]

pickering1

Pickering Barn*

Pickering Barn was the center of Issaquah’s largest dairy farm for many years. The land surrounding the barn was purchased from earlier homesteaders by Washington territorial governor William Pickering in 1867. Today the barn is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Nike Missile Sign

“Radar Park” at Anti-Aircraft Peak

Cougar Mountain Regional Park Now an open field, “Radar Park” was once a military installation used to protect our area from air attack.  All that is left of the installation now is sidewalks (which seem to serve no purpose), cement pads, landscaping features and an interpretive sign. The site is part of the Cougar Mountain […]

Linda Ruehle with Commemorative Statue

Statue and Bench At City Hall South

Corner of 1st Ave. SE and E. Sunset Way [The following article is adapted from the Washington Municipal Clerks’ Association (WMCA) Fall 2001 quarterly newsletter] Linda Ruehle, City Clerk for the City of Issaquah retired on June 1, 2001, after serving the City and the community for 30 years.  On October 5, 2001, Linda was […]

Triple X Drive In

Triple-X Root Beer Drive-In

98 NE Gilman Boulevard The first drive-in restaurant in the Pacific Northwest was established in 1930 in Renton by A.H. Rutherford. The combination of Triple XXX Root Beer and food turned out to be a great idea which spread nationwide. Of all the XXXs that ever graced our country’s landscape, Issaquah’s is the only one left which […]

Issaquah Rodeo, 1924

Veterans’ Memorial Field

130 Sunset Way Memorial Field is a peaceful place in the heart of downtown Issaquah.  Come on a sunny day to enjoy the ball fields, playground, good views of the surrounding green hills. The piece of land that is now Memorial Field was once owned by the Superior Coal Company. Superior Coal, a German-owned company, […]